Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Reading Strategies

Today I spent the day thinking about my bulletin board for Readers Workshop. I wasn't too thrilled with the layout I had last year so I decided I would change it up a little bit this year and make it bright and fun. I just started to play with Photoshop and I'm having way too much fun with it. I think I'm addicted. My first design was a simple owl and I created them in different colors to represent a particular area of reading. Under each heading are little subheadings or strategies I teach my students to improve their Accuracy, Fluency, Comprehension and Vocabulary. I can't wait to hang them up this week when I go in to set up. Here's a preview of my newest creation!




There are 34 different reading strategies I teach my students in order to be proficient in reading. In September when we launch Reader's Workshop I introduce my students to a new strategy at least once a week. If I see they are independently using their strategies then I'll expose them them to more or go over other strategies during Guided Reading. My next project is creating a strategy list for my students to place in their book baggy so they can take it home and use it in class. You can purchase my strategy set on my TpT page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantastical Fun in First Grade