Saturday, September 21, 2013

Teaching Manners



Every month our principal chooses a book of the month. Every other month we have to submit a classroom writing response to it. Then the book is sent home with a child everyday accompanied by a notebook for both parent and child to respond in. This months BOTM is "Do Unto Otters" by Laurie Keller. I've never heard of the book but when I read it I just thought it was the cutest book ever! The characters are adorable and the way she displays the text in the book is so unique. After reading we created a list of manners that rabbit spoke about. We also discussed the way rabbit said these things using speech bubbles! Our response to the book was creating a poster using speech bubbles. Students wrote in the manners they thought were most important. I wanted to have them write why they thought that manner was important but due to lack of time it just wasn't possible. I got the idea from rowdy in first grade. If you need a book that teaches good manners and is engaging then I suggest you check this book out. I also found these these awesome resources on picture book lessons blog. I really need to start remembering to take pictures of the work we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantastical Fun in First Grade