Monday, September 30, 2013

Dealing with Bullies in the Classroom

I haven't posted in what feels like forever. The main reason being that I just had 2 new students enrolled in my class and one of them has completely changed our classroom environment. My other student isn't behavioral but his focus and organizational skills are another challenge for me but that's a separate issue for another day. This one student has managed to change our once peaceful and fun learning environment into a war zone and my kids are scared. Well he met his match because I AM NOT HAVING IT! I will give you some background on this child. He is labeled emotionally disturbed and comes from a very "street" family. They think discipline is screaming and calling him names so now we know where it's coming from. He calls my students names, punches them, kicks them and threatens them daily. This is something I will not allow to happen in my classroom. He told me on the first day his last teacher was mean and yelled at him all the time. I explained that we are responsible for our actions in our class and if you make a bad choice that there will be a consequence for it. He said "Oh I like you." I replied,"Great! I can be nice as pie when you follow directions. I will joke around and play fun games. BUT! If you choose to do the wrong thing in my class then it will not be fun and games. That's how life is inside and outside the walls of this school." He gives me the whole yes yes yes and 2 seconds later is tearing ass around my classroom. HELLOOOOOOOOO! Did you not hear what I just said?! He says, "Sorry, Mrs. Guidice." The first few days he seemed to really be falling into the routines. He was earning his points left and right. Then one day in the closet at the end of the day he tells one of my students he will punch her in the face if she gets in his way again. When she tells me I confront him. He denies and denies it. So I asked if anyone heard him and 3 other kids raised their hand and correlated my other students story. I said, "Well, how do you explain that then? Three other students heard you. Are you still going to tell me the same story or will it be the truth?" He then changes his story to some nonsense about the light. I know off the bat he's lying and I said that lying is not a good character trait. Then last week he tells me he wants to be a cop. I said to be a cop you have to follow the rules first. He replies, "No I'm going to be a bad cop." I seriously couldn't believe what he just told me. In my 9 years teaching I have NEVER heard a child say something like that. I said, "Well bad cops get caught and go to jail just like everyone else who doesn't follow the law." He says, "No, bad cops never get caught and they can't go to jail cause they are a cop." I looked him in the face and said "That is not true. People who are bad eventually get caught. Maybe not right away but they will get caught and go to jail." Oh my! I just thought to myself this kid knows way too much for 6 years old. What is he being taught at home or what is he watching? Our school doesn't have students like this. It's not tolerated. The stories go on and on with this child. I could write a book. Basically whenever he gets caught doing something he shouldn't be doing his first response is "Sorry!" I hate when kids think that saying sorry makes everything ok. I explained that saying sorry doesn't mean anything if you are just going to do it again. I don't believe you are sorry because when I turn my back you are engaging in the same behavior. You are only sorry you got caught. I said to him to show me with you actions and not your words. The other kids try to help him do the right thing but he verbally or physically attacks them. They don't want to be his friend and I don't blame them. They make it very clear at lunch when they all sit away from him because they are scared of him. Today he told on of my kids they were mean and stomped on her foot. When I asked what happened they told me he was being mean to them and said that they didn't want to talk to him. I moved him out of that table to one that has some more privacy where he can't bother other kids. This kind of behavior will not fly in my classroom and I have no problem saying that to his parents. Looks like it's going to be a long year but I'm staying positive that this kid can turn it around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantastical Fun in First Grade